Iraq

Reasons People Signed This Statement, Part 2

I continue to be horrified at both the blatancy of these crimes committed by our government - under both Bush and Obama - as well as the complacency of the American public at large about them... How can any one possibly claim to be proud to be an American at this point?   Julianne Jaz

When crimes are committed, investigations, possible prosecutions,and trials must follow. There is no ifs and buts and about it. When Obama does not look backwards, that is obstruction of justice, a criminal offense.  Bijan Afshartous

Read more...

The 'Obama Doctrine': Kill, Don't Detain

By Asim QureshiDrone
guardian.co.uk

George Bush left a big problem in the shape of Guantánamo. The solution? Don't capture bad guys, assassinate by drone

In 2001, Charles Krauthammer first coined the phrase "Bush Doctrine", which would later become associated most significantly with the legal anomaly known as pre-emptive strike. Understanding the doctrine with hindsight could lead to a further understanding of the legacy that the former administration left – the choice to place concerns of national security over even the most entrenched norms of due process and the rule of law. It is, indeed, this doctrine that united people across the world in their condemnation of Guantánamo Bay.

Read more...

Inquiry puts spotlight on U.S. Special Forces in Afghanistan

In nearly nine years of warfare in Afghanistan, U.S. Special Forces have done their fighting in the shadows, governed by rules largely of their own making. Now, these elite and secretive troops, their actions long shielded from public scrutiny, are the focus of a high-profile investigation that could shed unprecedented light on their methods and tactics.

Read more...

“This is How These Soldiers Were Trained to Act”

Democracy Now!, April 12, 2010

“This is How These Soldiers Were Trained to Act”–Veteran of Military Unit Involved in 2007 Baghdad Helicopter Shooting Says Incident Is Part of Much Larger Problem

We speak with a former member of Bravo Company 2-16, the military unit involved in the 2007 helicopter shooting of Iraqi civilians that killed twelve people, including two Reuters employees, as seen on the military video released by WikiLeaks. “The natural thing to do would be to instantly judge or criticize the soldiers in this video,” says Josh Stieber. “Not to justify what they did, but militarily speaking, they did exactly what they were trained to do…If we’re shocked by this video, we need to be asking questions of the larger system, because this is how these soldiers were trained to act.”

This Mass Murder Must be Roundly Condemned!

12 Iraq Civilians Murdered by U.S. Troops Firing From Helicopter

Statement By Carl Dix
 
The video recently released by Wikileaks cries out for a response of outrage and condemnation (you can view this video at Wikileaks.org).  This video shows US forces in Iraq launching an unprovoked assault from an Apache Helicopter on a group of Arab men in July of 2007.  After the attack one of the men he tries to crawl to safety, and the helicopter fires at him again! 

Then a van pulls up and tries to pick up the dead and wounded, and the helicopter fires a missile at it, killing and wounding more people, including 2 children!  US ground troops arrive and pick up the children to take them to a hospital.  The helicopter relays orders to leave the children to be picked up by Iraqi police, if they survive till the Iraqi police arrive.  In all, 12 people were killed in this murderous assault.

Read more...

WikiLeaks 2: Wrath of Farah

Come on let us shootBy Jason Ditz
antiwar.com

With the Obama Administration scrambling to dismiss last week’s WikiLeaks.org video of the July 12, 2007 US killings of two Reuters reporters and several other Iraqi civilians, the increasingly controversial site is poised to drop another video bombshell, this time on a much more high profile attack.

On May 5, 2009, US aircrafts bombed a number of homes in the Afghan village of Abdul Basir Khan, in Farah Province. The death toll according to Afghan officials was upwards of 140 civilians.

Read more...

More on the Gardez Massacre: Afghan Official Says U.S. Raiders Hid Killings

By Gareth Porter, IPS

WASHINGTON, Apr 7, 2010 (IPS) - The head of the Afghan Ministry of Interior investigation said publicly for the first time his investigators had accepted the testimony of family members of the victims of the Feb. 12 raid by U.S. Special Operations Forces (SOF) that the U.S. troops had dug bullets out of the bodies of their victims in an apparent effort to cover up the killings and that Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal had agreed with the team's conclusions.

Mirza Mohammad Yarmand, head of the criminal investigation department in the ministry, told IPS in an interview Wednesday that the ministry's investigation had found "evidence of tampering at the scene by the patrol members", which had "confused" NATO investigators about the incident.

"We accepted the claim of the family members [of victims] that NATO soldiers had dug the bullets out of the bodies," said Yarmand, "but we could not confirm it, because we were not able to do an autopsy on the bodies." The family members, like most Afghans, had not allowed the autopsies on the victims, he explained.

Read more...

"Rule of Law" Obama Crosses Another Line Bush Didn't

Anwar al-Aulaqi Added To CIA Target List: US Citizen Is First American On List
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has authorized the killing of a radical Muslim cleric, Anwar al-Awlaki, an American citizen believed to be hiding in Yemen and thought to have shifted from encouraging attacks on the U.S. to participating in them, according to published reports.

Al-Awlaki has emerged as a prominent al-Qaida recruiter and has been tied by U.S. intelligence to the 9/11 hijackers, along with Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the Nigerian accused of trying to blow up a Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day, as well as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the Army psychiatrist accused of killing 13 people in November at Fort Hood, Texas.

Read more...

US Admits Troops Killed Afghan Civilians At Baby Shower

Afghan Investigators Say U.S. Troops Tried to Cover Up Evidence in Botched Raid

By Richard A. Oppel, Jr. and Abdul Waheed Wafa
NY Times

Gardez, AfghanistanKABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan officials investigating the deaths of five Afghan civilians gunned down in February during a bungled raid by American Special Operations forces believe that troops tampered with evidence at the scene, the lead investigator said Monday. NATO officials disclosed that they were looking into the allegations.

Evidence tampering helps explain why NATO officials were so “confused” initially and offered inaccurate accounts of the killings, said the Afghan official, Merza Mohammed Yarmand, of the Ministry of Interior’s criminal investigation division.

Read more...

Wikileaks reveals video showing US air crew shooting down Iraqi civilians

More on this story from Democracy Now! 4/6/10:

Massacre Caught on Tape: U.S. Military Confirms Authenticity of Their Own Chilling Video Showing Killing of Journalists

Collteral Murder

Footage of July 2007 attack made public as Pentagon identifies website as threat to national security

by Chris McGreal
guardian.co.uk

A secret video showing US air crew falsely claiming to have encountered a firefight in Baghdad and then laughing at the dead after launching an air strike that killed a dozen people, including two Iraqis working for Reuters news agency, was revealed by Wikileaks today.

The footage of the July 2007 attack was made public in a move that will further anger the Pentagon, which has drawn up a report identifying the whistleblower website as a threat to national security. The US defence department was embarrassed when that confidential report appeared on the Wikileaks site last month alongside a slew of military documents.

Read more...

Obama: Continuing Bush’s War Crimes with Drone Bombing Campaign

by Craig Considine
 
When Obama was campaigning on ‘Hope and Change’ in 2008, many Americans thought he was committed to implementing future foreign policies that would drift drastically away from the ’war on terror’ initiatives directed under the infamous Bush II administration. 
 
Yet over one year into his Presidency, Obama has actually expanded upon one of Bush’s gross military endeavors: the United States’ drone bombing campaign in Afghanistan and Pakistan. 
 
For many Americans, it is unfathomable to think that Obama has been more gruesome than Bush.  Even putting the two in the same sentence sounds like blasphemy.  But the fact is the Obama administration has used the Predator and Reaper drones much more often than the Bush administration. 

Read more...

About

World Can't Wait mobilizes people living in the United States to stand up and stop war on the world, repression and torture carried out by the US government. We take action, regardless of which political party holds power, to expose the crimes of our government, from war crimes to systematic mass incarceration, and to put humanity and the planet first.